We specialise in the design, engineering, execution, maintenance and operational management of complete Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) solutions for inter-urban traffic control at a city’s access points. In order to offer our clients standardised solutions, Sistem belongs to, and actively collaborates with Spanish and European Standards Committees related to this sector.
Our Traffic Control System for the access points of large cities is based on an application called MCS (Motorway Control System), created to manage the latest developments in ITS technologies, and is designed to manage both access points to large cities through its ringroads, as well as to control the interconnecting roads and highways between those cities.The MCS is based on an architecture distributed according to the client/server model, the latter in a cluster configuration thereby guaranteeing the operation 100% error-free, 24 hours per day, and allows for the easy access of information on any motorway at any operation point.
In order to operate the system, the operators have a video wall and TV monitors, where they can see, separately or simultaneously, images emitted from the TV or the information system.Its main function consists in the comprehensive management of the equipment installed on the motorway (data collection stations, highway signalling display boards, weather and environmental sensors, TV cameras, license plate readers, etc.). In this way, road users can be provided with the maximum amount of information for their safety.
This application presents user-friendly information through drop-down menus in Windows, and is supported by cartography, in which the equipment can be visualized and may be accessed from any operator post, with no additional restrictions other than controlling the area to which the motorway belongs, thereby facilitating the operators work in the control centre. Furthermore it allows for the addition of video processing.
The Motorway Control System (MCS) supplies the following information to the operators:
- Traffic data obtained from Data Collection Stations (DCS and license plate readers), service levels, route times, isolated area data (speed, intensity, occupation and
percentage of light vehicles).
- Weather data, through coloured–coded icons representing the main weather phenomena, both for current and forecasted weather conditions with the consequent information about its severity.
- Environmental Data (EMACs)
- Alerts and equipment updates
The MCS System also provides:
- Appropriate signalling proposals for the phenomena occurring at the time.
- Turn-on and turn-off controls for the highway signalling display boards.
- Sending of proposed information to the highway display boards.
- Sending of route times plans.
- Activation of weather signalling proposals.
It also manages the following systems:
- Communications system (SDH, Gigabit, Radio) between different communications nodes on the motorway and in the Control Centre.
- Emergency (SOS) highway communication posts.
- Incident detection system with TV image analysis, at different points on the motorway.
- CCTV cameras for surveillance and operational management.
- License plate reading system for vehicle control and identification.
- System for measuring instantaneous speeds or average speeds (Kinemometers) to control vehicle speed.
In recent years we have developed different ITS products in our Engineering and R+D Department, such as the LMU250 license plate reader, and the average en-route MEDIAVEX speed measuring device, amongst others.